Friday, September 24, 2010

Richard Rodriguez

Reflection
I really enjoyed Aria by Richard Rodriguez because I have heard similar stories like his. Richard talks about how he had to transition his primary language of Spanish to talk predominantly in English. He learned the language because his parents would try and talk mostly English at home instead of Spanish. He used the word “public language” in relation of changing his speech from Spanish to English. After a tough road he became a legal citizen and spoke English like it was his first language. He became “more confident” when talking in English he almost forgot a lot of the Spanish language like how to address his parents.
“Mother and Father, Ma, Papa, Pa, Dad, Pop (how I hated all –American sounds of that last word especially) - all their terms I felt were unsuitable, not really terms of address for my parents.”

I met a man from Judy’s soup kitchen who had the same story. For the past two weeks I would engage in conversations with him how he hated talking in English because he was Spanish and wanted to talk in his “native tongue”. I told him how Spanish is being a more and more predominate language and in a couple years it might be a primary language. He laughed and said “I won’t be around for that my dear but im sure you can tell me later about it.” I wasn’t quite sure what he meant, when we met in heaven? Or next time I visited. I made a copy of the article and im going to read it to him. I really can’t wait to see what he thinks and says.
Another thing to think about is how to be a United States citizen. How did Richard do it? Was it really hard? Hope someone in class can help me on that one but I found a link to help me a little

http://www.visaus.com/citizen.html

5 comments:

  1. Hey Giana, i really liked the story you told about the man in the soup kitchen. i never really thought about how hard it is for people to change their language just so they can "fit in" i guess in society. And i think he would really appreciate you reading him this article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your story, it's very interesting and i think it's a great idea to read this article to the man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the quote you chose to put into your reflection. I almost used it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you and other people are able to take these stories and relate them to your own lives. I loved the story about the soup man and I want you to tell us or at least me what he said when you show it to him. I asked my friend who was born in another country and raised here if it was hard and all that stuff and she said it was but when you’re surrounded by it, it gets easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this man will really relate to this story. He might be able to explain it in way that many other Americans cannot. I really hope you post a blog to tell us what happens. I'd really like to have this insight.

    ReplyDelete