Wednesday, October 20, 2010

volunteer

“This article is a great eye opener for almost everyone out there. Throughout our lives we are told that we should try to make a difference and to remember that even the smallest of deeds can be the biggest jester to someone who needs it. In this article you read about the way that a few different teachers showed their students how to make an impact within their community. Service projects can make students become active participants and at the same time it can further there academic views of the topic that they are going over in class” by Beth

I agreed so much with what Beth had to said in her blog I wanted to talk about what she said with my opinion. For someone to say that we don’t make a difference in someone’s life is a lie! It’s like the quote from the movie “Remember Me”, our hand prints touch other people’s hearts each person we meet. Or however the quote goes but the point is we do make a big difference in those we help. And I know the best story…
When doing volunteer work for St. Pius, I was coaching a youth basketball league and one of the parents pulled me aside. she told me how I helped her son not only with basketball but breaking out of his shell. Now to me, at the time, I just thought was just teaching them the basics of basketball but to him I helped him with so much more. Now this was three years ago, he now graduated middle school and now plays varsity basketball as a freshman. Incredible I know! The best part is that my sister goes to that school and said he has so many friends now and always is talking and being out going. Which is funny because only a short while ago he was so quiet and it was pulling teeth to get him to talk.
So as you can see we really do make a difference in what we do, say or act. And people need to read this article to get why people volunteer. I volunteer because not only does it make me happy but I help people just as much as they help me!

here is 18 great reasons why we all need to volunteer..
http://www.everydaygiving.com/volunteer.htm

1 comment:

  1. Good job Giana on your connective blog to Beth's. I will C U in class!!

    ReplyDelete