Saturday, November 13, 2010

Disabilities

Peer Reflection
“As I was reading, I found myself really getting into the article. I found myself really wanting to hug all the children in the world, who just want to be in a normal classroom with their peers, and they can’t because they have a disability, and people don’t think they can do it.” – Sarah T.

Everything that she said in her refection really had me nodding my head in agreement. It’s the same situation with me. In first grade I wasn’t at the same reading level as everyone else, it took me a lot longer to read a passage and comprehend it. I was taken to the Johnston school system for a tutor with an I.E.P. for years I was tutored every day after school with all my homework. It wasn’t till about eighth grade when I was reevaluated and was taken off an I.E.P... This was devastating because applying to High schools was right around the corner. I didn’t know how I was going to be able to get in a good school when it took me so long to get through a test because I’d have to read it over and over to understand it. My parents and I fought for three long months to get a 405, which is like an I.E.P, just different ways of help.
I was accepted into LaSalle Academy but had to go through a transition program over the summer. I was the top of my class going though the program. I went through the school with no use from my 504. I received all A’s and B’s, I was so proud when I got honor roll every year. But as I progressed in school I could see others with disabilities giving up and not achieving their potential. I know many people with problems and I tell them my story and how I did great working hard. They should be doing the same; i helped a lot of people and surprising they graduated.
Just like Sarah used “[Community] requires a willingness to see people as they are-different perhaps in their minds and in their bodies, but not different in their spirits or in their willingness and ability to contribute to the mosaic of society. It requires the "helper" to have the humility to listen for what the person says he or she needs. Also, the "helper" must see that the interaction "helps" both ways. (p. 12)”

1 comment:

  1. Your story really makes me think, I would never have thought you had and IEP, It is awesome that you helped people to graduate

    ReplyDelete