Sunday, November 7, 2010

Promising Practice

Promising Practice reflection

When I walked in I didn’t know what to expect from a convention because I’ve never gone to one. It was calming when I walked in though and saw Prof Bogad Smiling and excited that we were there; so I felt a little but more at ease. My first group I went to was the Collaborate students with Welfare. I was really looking forward to it because I was just asked to intern with DCYF so I thought this was perfect for me to go to. We talked about the six different aspects of it, emotional, visible, chronological, life experience, peer and cultural. All of these had something very alike in connection. The biggest connection was that it’s a transition, a new change that the kids are going through. It’s out of the norm for them to be taken out of their home and family, and placed with foster parents in a new home, school and environment out of their element. So as teachers we need to be more open to the change. We came up with a list of ways to help. Meetings with DCYF, talk to the foster parents, bee sensitive, help with the behavioral problems they might have, and have a lot of communication with the kids. These things might seem obvious to do but they are over looked and I realized that when we were talking about it. I really enjoyed this seminar because thought it was influential for my future.





After lunch I went to a problem solving seminar with Lindsey, Becka, and Jess. This one was another one I wanted to go to because I am the absolute worst at math and problem solving. I thought it would be more about how to teach it better but it was more of less saying that there are different ways to get the same answer to a problem...well duh! But its okay I was nice still to go to.
So here is a way to solve word problems a much better break down!

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/teach-solve-word-problems.php

and the do’s and don’t of solving word problems…

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/problem_solving.php

1 comment: